Friday, August 27, 2010

On the "Is-She-Pregnant-I-Can't-Tell" Pooch

   Ok, so I have fully entered the stage of non-fitting pants.  The stage where the people who interact with you day-to-day but still may not know you're pregnant are thinking either, "Poor Scott, she really must be hitting the ice cream tub hard lately" or "is she pregnant?"  This of course is the stage that everyone who recognizes the rules of guessing pregnancy knows not to say anything, because it's really a lose-lose all around.  If you are right the pregnant woman realizes that now people are noticing she is getting fatter so she feels bad.  If you are wrong...well, let's just say that is exactly why we DON'T ASK. 

   This pant popping pooch (I love alliteration) is creating a bit of a dilemma for me though in a couple of ways.  The first is that maternity clothes (at least the cute ones) are expensive.  And the second reason is that pregnant woman need maternity clothes for about 5-6 months ONLY.  I am having a really hard time justifying buying an extra wardrobe for such a short time of life.  I do realize that I may be pregnant again, so it may not be THAT outrageous of an investment, nevertheless I'm still opposed to buying clothes that will only be worn during the next 5 months.  Fortunately, I have had some wonderful friends come to my rescue in letting me borrow a few choice articles, but the pants...the pants have been my main problem. 

   Thus far my solutions to the pant pop have included: hair-tie looped through button hole and then stretched over button, long cami-type shirts that keeps everything tightly in place, or just discarding that pair of pants to the back of my closet and saying a prayer that someday I will be able to fit into them again.  In a lot of ways saying goodbye to clothes that don't fit anymore is kinda hard (stupid I know).  First, it is a total wake up call to the fact that, like every other woman who has ever been pregnant, you too are gaining weight.  But, It's like saying goodbye to a teammate that has been there for you ever single time you called on them. 

   Despite my opposition to buying maternity clothes, I can't say that I haven't purchased any because I have.  Some of the clothes are things that are just extra puffy around the belly zone and are giving me some room now, but I will probably also wear them when I'm not pregnant.  My sweet mom also bought me a bundle of maternity things she found which included some maternity capri jeans (which I happen to be wearing at this very moment).  And my mother-in-law bought me the most comfortable maternity T-shirt I have ever felt.  (Ok it was the first maternity shirt I had ever worn, but still it was dreamy.)  However, the purchase I have been most excited about came recently while shopping at Target with my friend Jess. 

  Many of you know that I took a last minute job teaching 6th grade Spanish for a semester.  Well, I am absolutely LOVING it, but frequently have found myself needing something denim to wear to school that goes with my puffy clothes.  SOLUTION:  Jean skirt :)  A good jean skirt is quintessential to the teacher's wardrobe.  A weekly "go-to" if you will, along with a comfortable pair of Merrells ;).  Well, I was just so lucky to find my jean skirt not only in the maternity section, but also on the sale rack!  I'm telling you, it was pretty sad how pumped I was over the finding and purchasing of a jean skirt in the year 2010.  And for those of you who are wondering, yes it is the kind that has the elastic waistband that goes all the way up and over the belly to bra line.  Let me tell you it is sexy.  Scott really can't keep away.

   I took the jean skirt out for its first spin this week at school and she rides pretty dang well.  I am one very satisfied maternity jean skirt owner.   All this to say, dealing with the inability to fully button your pants has made me a better person in a lot of ways.  I am learning that being pregnant is a sacrifice and I need to be ok with body changes.  The Lord looks at the heart anyway, right?   I guess you don't realize how much you appreciate your stable body weight until it is changing as rapidly as it does during pregnancy.  Well, baby, I know you are going to be worth it, so may the pants continue to pop!



 

1 comment:

  1. You had me nearly in tears - seriously. I believe you should start a Mommy Diary book on the side because I would love to read the memoir of your pregnancy if the entries continue to be this hysterical. Now, on to bigger business... Prego clothes. I really liked the low waste band for prego pants, so give those a spin. Another solution, which requires one little purchase is the belly band (http://www.doulashop.com/bella-band/index.html?gclid=CMP-0bLs2qMCFQWt7Qod6FX-8w) - fits over your normal pants and holds them up even when you can't button them or use the hair-tie trick (which I also sported while I could and totally endorse). No matter what, you will most certainly be adorable and therefore I'm requesting a posting of pictures. We need a photo log of this journey :) sorry for the long post! ~ Amy

    ReplyDelete